Police Arrest Girl Who Drowns Own Baby in Lagos


Odumosu appointed Lagos commissioner of police | TheCable



The Gowon Estate Police Station of the Lagos State Police Command has arrested a lady, Funmilola Adisa, 22, for allegedly drowning her own baby in a bucket of water.



The suspect admitted that she drowned the 18-month-old baby because she was frustrated that the baby had deprived “me of realising my dream of becoming a lawyer.”


During interrogation, she said: “I drowned my baby inside a bucket filled with water. Thereafter, I reported myself at the Gowon Estate Police Division.



“The police did not come immediately but when they did, they found the dead baby inside the bucket.

“I was impregnated by a boy who attended same JAMB lesson class with me.

“But he denied and rejected the pregnancy. I wanted to abort it but my father refused. I passed my JAMB and was offered admission to study Law at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, but I had to defer the admission because of the baby.



“I wanted to take her to the orphanage home at first when it became difficult to take care of her. I live with my sister who has no job and I am also not working. I felt there was no use keeping her since I could not take care of her.

UBA Magic Banking

"I killed her because I was frustrated, but most importantly, because she stood in my way of actualising my dream of becoming a lawyer.”



From the division, Adisa was taken to the  Command headquarters in Ikeja, from where the Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, directed that she should be transferred to the State Criminal Investigation and Intelligence  Department (SCIID) in Yaba.



Her elder sister, who did not want her name mentioned, said she was too shocked to believe that her younger sister could commit such act.


According to her, "I suspect she is gradually developing mental problem. Our mother had same mental problem before she died.



“We live in the same apartment, but have our separate bedrooms. I didn't know when she drowned the baby, until the police arrived in our place."


Police sources, which hinted that medical checks would be conducted on the suspect to ascertain her mental state, said such would not stop her from facing the consequences of her action.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Court Stops National Assembly From Taking Over Bauchi Assembly

Population of Doctors in Nigeria Hits 74,543

UBEC Board Chairman, Daughter Freed from Captivity