41 People Killed, Corpses Burnt in Zamfara Attack
No fewer than 41 persons were reportedly massacred while scores were injured last Wednesday by unidentified gunmen in Birane village of Zurmi Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
It was gathered that the bandits had ambushed and attacked a truck loaded with women and children who left Birane village around 5:00 p.m. on that day to attend a wedding ceremony in a neighbouring village.
It was also gathered that the women and children including the driver of the truck were slaughtered and the corpses set ablaze.
A resident of the area who pleaded anonymity, told journalists that three children of his neighbour, including a woman from Zurmi town identified as Dan Gwaggo Maifata who arrived at the scene on a commercial motorcycle were also killed by the gunmen.
He revealed that the armed men killed the women in revenge of the earlier attack on their camp by the vigilante group.
"Although, there was a report that the gunmen would launch an attack on the village but nobody was sure when they will do so.
"They asked all the women on the truck to come down after they had already slaughtered the driver. They killed them one after the other and reloaded the corpses on the truck before setting them ablaze.
"Our attention was just drawn by some people who witnessed the incident. In fact, even before we reached the scene, all the women and children on board were dead, while the gunmen proceeded to the nearby market and shot sporadically scaring away traders,"he said.
When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Zamfara Command, DSP Shehu Muhammad, who confirmed the incident, said members of the vigilante group in partnership with local hunters had earlier launched an attack on the camp of the bandits inside the forest in Zurmi council.
He disclosed that during the exchange of fire between the bandits and vigilante group, casualties was recorded on both sides.
The PPRO stated that the command had already deployed its officers in the area to maintain law and order.
"The command has not ascertained the number of casualties yet, but is working closely with security to ensure law and order are maintained in the area. Already, a joint task force has already been deployed to the area,"he added.