Read what IBB told the media about Buhari, his name Badamosi, and other sundry issues




Image result for IBB 
Former Military President General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida (rtd) in this interview to mark his 74th birthday tomorrow spoke on a host of other national issues. 


A United States official recently said what Nigeria Military needs to fight Boko Haram is not weapon but training. As a military officer do you subscribe to this assertion?

I think I must admit that a lot of us were trained in America. Quite a sizeable number of officers from here were trained there, so it is not something new to talk about because they know they have trained a lot of officers. I was trained in a place called Baltimore in Kentucky, US where I did my senior officer’s course.  I was in a Naval postgraduate school in US where I also did senior officers Management course, and I was an army brigadier at that time so a lot of us were trained in America.
The US is right but there is an old saying that no matter the sophisticated weapon you have, it is the man behind the weapon that wins the war. In other words, I do appreciate what they are trying to do for us. They have acquired a lot of experience since the second World War they have been involved with stability operations and other operations in support of either United Nations or in support of countries in which they went into. So I expect US to talk about such issues.

Are you satisfied with the renewed fight against insurgency by the federal government?
Yes, they (the insurgents) have to be wiped out. I think the renewed efforts and the fight by the federal government to stop Boko Haram attacks are very commendable.

In the last days of the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan Boko Haram was almost defeated but recently, we have seen a resurgence of the sect activities What did President Jonathan do that Buhari is not doing now which has led to an upsurge in the activities of the group?
I think there is a general misunderstanding on the whole concept of insurgency. You can call it anything but one thing notable is that we are not fighting a regular army where you can confront yourselves by sheer use of force with some weapons to overwhelm the enemy; no, you have got a small trained army in the tactics of which must include ‘maximum casualty’ on the so-called enemy, inflict casualty on him (terrorist) where he lands and when he least expects it. We are not fighting a conventional war, and this has made it exceptionally difficult. They would blow up bridges, blow up barracks among others, this is unconventional war. So it would be in order that the soldiers are trained tactically. And the public should also be educated about this war against insurgency.

If Colonel Suka Dimka had had his way, you would have been dead by now. But today, you are celebrating your 74th birthday. How do you feel knowing that God has spared your life to see this day? 
I will continue to remain grateful to God, and it strengthens my belief that no matter what happens, if God does not will it, nothing shall happen to you. It is a matter of belief that whatever happens to you takes the approval of Allah, and I remain grateful to him for sparing my life till this time despite what we went through. Those of us who participated in combat always give God thanks. Since the war in 1969, God has kept me going so I am very grateful, and thankful to all who supported me.

With the situation that some state and the federal governments are now grounded, don’t you think we need a forum of elders in the country to meet and fashion the way forward?
It is the most unique thing to say that this is one country in Africa that is specially blessed. there are about eight or seven of us alive today, and everyone of us had different experiences one way or the other, but another good thing is that there is a forum where we all meet the current leadership, talk about the situation in the country and offer solutions to any problem. Those of us who were there always have free access to the government, so we can either put across in writing or we talk to the government. These are challenges every government must face, but the people and the government must come together, and with the people’s support, the government will always come out with solutions to these problems.

In your opinion, what are the key areas the present government should focus to move the country forward?

I must commend the present leadership for identifying even before and after the elections some of the problems facing this country. Firstly, it has to do with security, and President Buhari has talked about it extensively. The security of lives and property, the security of the state, the security of this environment called Nigeria has been identified. Secondly, one is of causes has to do with the way we live, and the behavioural aspect. Corruption, I think, has to do with the economic development of the country. They were all identified, and we should support the president towards achieving these objectives.

President Buhari and some stakeholders have launched strategies to recover the stolen money. What is your take on this move?

My boss, President Olusegun Obasanjo, had similar strategy to be fair to him, and his government made a lot of recoveries, so we should support this present federal government in trying to do the same to achieve the same objective.

Do you think the strategy being adopted will yield positive results?

Resolutely, I believe it will achieve it someday. The government, I believe will try to be resolute in trying to stamp out this mess (corruption) you talk about. In the area of oil theft for example, the government, I am sure, would be resolute in order to stamp it out bring those stealing our crude oil to book.

As a member of the PDP which is now in the opposition, how do you feel when your party lost control of the government, do you think the PDP can come out of the waters in 2019?
Well for 16 years there has been democracy, and with the democratic practice in the country, a lot of things must have gone wrong somewhere and the right judges are the people and the people have spoken. I think it is natural they needed a change after 16 years and they did what is right, they did not go wild, they did not fight anybody, they only used their ballot papers to change the government. I think this is the beauty of what happened. Well, I look forward to such practices in the next 50 years of democratic practice in this country. PDP will try and I hope they learn from their mistakes, what they did wrong, what they did right and what they can do now to re-launch their party. 

 One of the major challenges your administration faced was the Gideon Okar coup d’état. When you reflect on this, how do you feel?
That I can remember very well. I had some loyal officers who were supposed to be my protector and my body guard. Initially, they told me to leave and I refused, telling them that ‘I am not moving an inch’ but they remained stubborn, but later, I took my family outside Dodan barracks and joined my guards.
So we went out of barracks to a safe house where we got the contact with loyal troops. May God bless Sani Abacha.  Abacha was the Chief of Army Staff, he got in touch with me; we sat down and talk on what we would do. Abacha rallied round the loyal troops and then I left the state house and joined him in his house (pause). That was what happened.

 How will you rate the role of the media in the just concluded general elections?
I think the media have been fair according to my rating.
Very unusual though, you were fair. You didn’t show partisanship, you saw it the way it is. I have seen the media during other elections but this time, you were very, very fair. And I hope that will be the trend.

What is your assessment about the performance of the present administration so far?
That will not be fair. However, so far, I have confident that this administration is doing well, they have identified the problems and they are poise in confronting this problems head on and a lot of people in the country are offering a lot of advice on what to do. So I believe they will succeed.

General there are rumours that you are not a Northerner, and that you are from Ogbomosho in Oyo State, as some people always say that the name Badamasi is coined from Gbadamasi which is a Yoruba name?

I have the answer to this question. Around November 1962, this question you raised regarding my name was before asked in an interview by a minister and some very prominent people. During my last year in secondary school, somebody asked me that question, and I corrected the name as it was spelt, it is not new unless people didn’t get to understand it as at that time. It is Badamasi (spells it himself). It is not new, and I understood it. I had answered the question many times, it was 53 years ago, still I am glad to answer the same question.

The truth is that I hail from Niger State. My parents were between Wushishi and Minna, and my grandparent travelled and settled down in Wushsihi, and that says it all. However, there is nothing wrong in coming from any part of this country but the truth is that I hail from Niger State. My parents and great grand parents moved from somewhere to settle down here (Minna). There are some who still call us settlers in the state. We are not indigenes of the state because our grandparents came from somewhere but having lived all my 54 years in Niger State, I think I am more than qualified to be called an indigene of state.



What is your best food?
I eat everything lawful which is not against my religion. I don’t eat pork, I eat cereals (carbohydrate), If you give me anything, I will eat it.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Population of Doctors in Nigeria Hits 74,543

Drug Insecurity: House Urges FG to Fund Indigenous Drug Research

Court Stops National Assembly From Taking Over Bauchi Assembly