Police Arrest Five over New Year's Robbery in Lagos

Image result for Nigerian police


Five suspected armed robbers on Sunday were arrested by the operatives of Rapid Response Squad (RRS) of the Lagos State Police Command over robbery operation they executed on New Year's day.

The suspects were said to have robbed a 58-year-old woman of her handbag containing foreign and local currencies as well as other personal effects on that day.

The suspects, Shola Oyedele, Adejuwon Adeniyi, Alex Ikoku, Salau Damilola and Mohammed Muritala, were arrested by the operatives at Ikosi road, Ketu area of the state.

They were alleged to have accosted their victim, simply identified as Alhaja, around Ketu bus stop after alighting from a tricycle at about 9p.m. and dispossessed her of 800 dollars, 400 Qatari Riyald, N45,000, America Visa card, pouch containing gold trinkets valued at N110,000, a purse with unspecified amount and an Huawei  phone.

According to the victim, "I boarded a tricycle going to Ketu bus stop after crossing from Motorway. I was going to Ikorodu after visiting my children.

"I got down close to Ketu bridge on Ikorodu road. I was the only one alighting as other passengers had gotten down before getting to the bus stop.

“I was surrounded by five young men wielding knife and (daggers). They collected my phone and handbag, and still used my phone line to call my husband that he should bring N25,000 to collect my phone and all they took from me.

"At a point, I had to block the line when the harassment was getting too much for me. I reported the case at Ketu Police Station. I learnt it was referred to RRS. It was there that I was invited to come and identify them."

Shola, in his confession to the police, said the robbery was planned by Sikiru better known as Hauwa, who police said was on the run.

He was said to have sold the victim’s mobile phone to one Michael Ogunnaike, who took the police to the suspect’s hideout in Ketu, Lagos.

About 13 suspects were reported to have been arrested in the hideout but five were said to have been indicted by Shola of their involvement in the robbery.

Confirming the arrest, the state Police Public Relations Officer, SP Chike Oti, said no criminal would go scot free in the state.

He said the state Commissioner of Police, Imohimi Edgal, has ordered that the case be transferred to FSARS for further investigations and arrest of others still connected to the case.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Court Stops National Assembly From Taking Over Bauchi Assembly

Population of Doctors in Nigeria Hits 74,543

UBEC Board Chairman, Daughter Freed from Captivity